Friday, September 26, 2008

Motivation

Motivation is key in our profession. This year they have changed the physical education schedule so that classes are split up males and females. I am trying to change the program around to be more interesting for the girl for example group fitness classes. They all were very excited with this idea at the start of the year. We have completed yoga and kickboxing so far. I have several other group fitness classes planned. I have incorporated music that they love however when push comes to shove they are just to lazy to change into their PE clothes and workout. This is very frustrating when you put a lot of time and energy into making their class interesting from their feedback. What can I do to motivate these girls?

3 comments:

lisasru3 said...

Do you ever ask them what interests them? Maybe take a survey and get some ideas. Maybe if they are involved in the planning they will put more value to it. Not sure if it will work...just a thought!! I guess we can't please everyone. That's why we try to offer a variety of activities.

SoccerMom said...

Many schools are starting to break up the girls and boys in the classroom and they are finding their scores are increasing. Don't give up! I would ask the girls if there is something special they would like to learn. Just remember though, no matter what you do you won't please everyone.

Suz41 said...

I have found that breaking the games up into 5 minute games works well. If we have a limited amount of space, I have 3 teams (if possible) of no more than 5 on a team. They play for 5 minutes and teams just keep rotating through. I find that even though I don't get the maximum minutes for participation, I do get a better quality of participation.

I also score them a little differently on dress. My whole idea is to get the up and moving. Instead of making them dress completely, I have a point system. Its a bit long to type, but I'll be glad to give you my rules/expectations handout if you'd like! Give it some time and use Lisa's and Cherie's ideas. It WILL work out.