Monday, October 6, 2008

Contraceptives

In my school we have a lot of sexually active students. Teen pregnancy is a problem so I have gone in great detail about contraceptives. I actually gave my students a all completion quiz today on contracpetive methods. Suprisingly they really dont know much. Why is it so bad to get in detail about condoms and actually give students condoms. Im not promoting teens to have sex but I am a realist and understand that they are all not going to wait for marriage, heck some of mine cant even wait until they get to high school and if that not long into their freshman year. I do not want to see these kids having kids or getting a STI. Condoms are one of the easiest prevention method and does not require a doctors appointment and is cheap. I just dont see the problem with offering students methods to preventing STI's and teen pregnancy. Once again I dont promote sex for my students but I am a realist and want them to make smart decisions if they do decide to have sex.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a controversial subject, and I totally understand where you are coming from. There is a fine line between protecting our students, and encouraging them to use what we give them! I am a realist, like you, and I know that my middle school students aren't angels. Last year I had a girl talk to me one on one about her much older, high school boyfriend that was pressuring her to have sex. At this point, since our hands are tied, I just try to speak to these kids on an individual basis. When I talked with this girl, I explained the whole "if he's worth it, he will understand that you are not ready" speech. Unfortunately, until it's "ok" to provide contraceptives...all we really have are our words of wisdom. I think that sharing true life stories is always effective too. I explain things that have happened to close friends of mine, or people I knew in college...and it seems to have a greater impact on the kids, because I am telling them a real life story about a person I know.